You are not connected. Please login or register

Pep Guardiola was right - no system can stop Messi

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

chinesta10

chinesta10
Manager
Manager
HACKGH4LIFE - Pep Guardiola was right - no system can stop Messi 1344332_heroa

The Argentine attacker made the difference with two wonderful goals late in the game - prior to an assist for Neymar - that have swung the tie very much in Barcelona's favour..

By Ben Hayward | Spanish Football Writer

Pep Guardiola cannot complain. He had Lionel Messi's magic for four formidable seasons at Barcelona.

On Wednesday night, the Catalan coach was on the receiving end of the Argentine's astonishing abilities for the first time. The monster he helped create chewed up his best-laid plans.

But he won't have been surprised. In the build-up to this tie, Guardiola said: "When he plays like this, there is no defence that can stop him. It's impossible. He is used to players defending against him any way they can and he always ends up enjoying success. He is too good."

He could very well say the same after the game. As usual, Messi was too good. At this level, games are decided by the very best - and Messi is just that. "There is no player more complete than Leo," Guardiola once said. "He is the best at everything."

During his time at Camp Nou, Guardiola always admitted his side would be a shadow of themselves without the Argentine among their ranks. "We would be a very good team and we would be competitive," he stressed. "But we wouldn't have won all that we have."

HACKGH4LIFE - Pep Guardiola was right - no system can stop Messi 1345332

Too true. Guardiola won 14 out of 19 titles at Barca - including six out of six in his first year. Meanwhile, Guardiola's great work at Bayern has seen back-to-back Bundesliga championships claimed with relative ease, yet the Catalan coach was expected to turn the Bavarians into Europe's elite team - which they were before his arrival as they won the treble and brutally beat an out-of-sorts Barca en route to the Champions League crown.

Now, that dream lies in tatters - and it's all because of Messi.

The 27-year-old was well marked for much of the game, but as his rivals tired, he pulled the trigger: first, he lashed home a thunderous drive from the edge of the box that not even the brilliant Manuel Neuer could save; then he ran into the box and beat the Germany goalkeeper with an exquisite chip from a tight angle for his second. It was unstoppable - just as Guardiola had said.

Neymar's late third means this tie is now all but over. In the end, it has not been settled - or so it seems at least - by tactical nous, but by Messi's magic.

Guardiola benefitted so often from such fantasy football at Barca, like in the 2009 and 2011 Champions League triumphs, the semi-final success against Real Madrid en route to the latter and many, many more. This time, however, he has to grin and bear it.

And on the night of his return to Camp Nou, Guardiola's words proved prescient. Just as Guardiola had said, nothing and nobody can stop the Argentine on this form - and there is no shame in that.

Bayern are brilliant, their coach remains the world's finest and their tactical plan frustrated Barca for much of the match, but in the end, Messi was just too good.

Source: Goal

Felizo

Felizo
Support Moderator
Support Moderator
Messi is unstopable unless he doesn't get his day. He is truely a complete player who makes assist and also scores. With this good result at camp nou, barca has already booked their flight into the finals no mather what bayern will do.

chinesta10

chinesta10
Manager
Manager
Messi is really great... I love the way he allows the ball to be at his feet when controlling it and how he hardly looses it even under extreme pressure... His great foot works together with great balance on the ball is what i admire about him and that's what most opponents fear...

Its really impossible to try to mark him one-on-one and even becomes more dangerous if defenders try to to rush on him cos that creates more spaces for him to thread through passes for others to score... He is simply a magician and when on form is a real delight to watch as a Barca fan or real torment when you are watching as the opponent's fan.. But Mourinho disagrees...

He agrees to the fact that Messi is a master class and even went on to say that if Messi were to be either a Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal or Man Untd player, either of them would have been able to win the Champions leagues cos he simply makes the impossible possible and when the team needs him most, he is always there to make things happen... Like Mourinho, i think the best way to stop Messi is to make have a bad day.... Just make feel like he is not in the game...

But i think to mark Messi out of a game to some extent works but temporal as he eventually finds his feet in the end... Man marking him works but rare and its really difficult for any player to play that role against Messi... But Mourinho is a master tactician and i believe what he is saying cos he did that with Inter some time ago... And even against Bayern, Messi was well marked but not for long as he still found a way to break through and score two goals and gave an assist...

I guess to say Barca have already qualified is an understatement because there is still a second league to play at Alianz Arena and anything can happen in football.. The job is still not yet done until the tie is over... Trust me, Bayern will put up a show in the return league and that will make things difficult for Barca so i advice that if you are a Barca fan, wait n chill after the second league!

Its also clear that Bayern are missing two very key players in ROBERY,  ie Robben and Ribery... With them around, things would have been different at Camp Nou... As it stands now, I hope Juve beats Madrid and go to the final and face of Barca cos i don't want to witnessed another one sided classico where Barca will surely dominate.. At least with Juve, we will witness a very disciplined but mean Catanaciou defence square off against an exciting attack, thus dubbed "MSN"... I just like to see if their defensive system can stop Messi Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy .... #HACKGH4LIFE....

Felizo

Felizo
Support Moderator
Support Moderator
Nobody should expect el classico finals cos in every champions league 2nd leg semi finals, madrid doesn't domintate well and they always loose. This has been their history. i can talk of the all their recent champions league semi finals 2nd leg which have witness myself. So it's really hard for madrid to break through this time since they lost the first leg.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum