Free counters!
Staff Online
Staff Online
Members2390
Most Online179
Newest Member
https://hackgh.forumotion.com/u2487

You are not connected. Please login or register

Remove write protection from a USB key (via the Registry)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

technology

technology
Contributor
Here is how you can remove or uninstall write protection on pen drive. This is a common problem faced by most users.
Often an error occurs while copying, deleting or modifying data or files for the USB. This happens because it is 'Write-Protected'. Here is a solution to the problem of the USB being write-protected. Follow the steps mentioned in this article to enable the modification, copying or deleting of files from the USB thereafter

Remove write protection from a USB key via the the Registry

Issue
This a very common problem when using USB flash drives. Sometimes when you try to copy or delete files you get an error message "Remove the write-protection or use another disk". Furthermore, it won't allow you to format it!
remove - Remove write protection from a USB key (via the Registry) 0-6ghy10

Solution
To remove write protection:
  • Open Start Menu >> Run, type regedit and press Enter. This will open the registry editor.

• Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

• Double click the key WriteProtect in the right pane and set the value to 0

• In the Data Value Box, press OK

• Exit Registry, restart your computer and then re-connect your USB pen drive to your computer.

Open Diskpart Utility For Removing Write Protected From Memory card/usb drive

remove - Remove write protection from a USB key (via the Registry) Remove10

• Open Command Prompt and type “diskpart” and press Enter key
  • After opening diskpart type “list disk” and again press Enter button.

• Now type “select disk 1″ to select your sd card and press Enter key again.

• To remove write protection from sd card type “attributes disk clear readonly” and hit Enter.

Now you are almost done with this process. Simply type “exit” and press enter key once more to exit the menu.

• Now, right click on your Sd card and click on Format option to format your card.

That’s all, now you can now easily remove write protection from micro sd card and can copy your data without any restrictions.

*skullp

*skullp
Active Newbie
thanks alot bro, this right protection is preventing me to use my pendrive. thanks again

technology

technology
Contributor
you are welcome.... this article will help you remove it

chinesta10

chinesta10
Manager
Manager
great share.. tried it but could not see my drive letter..thanks anywayz

wflexible

wflexible
Active Newbie
i use to try the first step but never worked for me but i will try with the second step and see weather it will work for me. thanks for the tutorial #technology Wink

PhAnt0m

PhAnt0m
Administrator
Administrator
chinesta10 wrote:great share.. tried it but could not see my drive letter..thanks anywayz

Write protected drive should be detected and giving a drive letter by you computer, You can sometimes even open the drive and use it content, play movies or music from the same write protected drive,

The drive simple becomes read only, this means you can only read the content on the drive,

1. YOU CANT COPY FILE FROM THE DRIVE
2. YOU CANT  COPY FILES TO DRIVE
3 YOU CANT FORMAT IT, ( the disk management console cant format it as well)

If you try to do any of the above, you should get  " The disk is write-protected" just like the error message you see above the main topic,

IF THIS IS YOUR ISSUE THEN THE SECOND METHOD IS QUIET POPULAR AND WORKS ON MANY TYPES OF DRIVES... AND IF THAT'S NOT THE CASE OF YOUR DRIVE, THEN IT MUST BE COMPLETELY DEAD .

You can also check device manager to see if your drive is showing up there, use the method below to access device manager

Here's How:

Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.

Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply click on Device Manager and then proceed

In the System and Security window, click on the Device Manager link located under the System heading.

You can now use Device Manager to update device drivers, view the system resources that a hardware device is using, etc.

Now herd to the universal serial bus controllers at the very end of the list , click the small arrow near it and see if you drive is located there........ If not its not there , try using your friend pc , if you still cant find it , then throw the drive away Shocked

remove - Remove write protection from a USB key (via the Registry) Device-manager-windows-7

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum