Free counters!
Staff Online
Staff Online
Members2390
Most Online179
Newest Member
https://hackgh.forumotion.com/u2487

You are not connected. Please login or register

SOLVED -Why does my computer say I need to be administrator, when I am?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

IMOGENE333

Forum Helper
In Windows Vista and Windows 7, your account may be administrator but you still may be denied access, saying you need to be administrator. I'll show why and what to do.

You’re not the administrator. Not really.
Oh, sure, you may think that you’re the administrator. And Windows may have even lead you to believe that you’re the administrator.
But, as the result of a new security feature introduced in Windows Vista and made less obnoxious in Windows 7, you’re not the real administrator by default.
But you can be.

Administrator … But Not

UAC, or User Account Control, is an important security feature that, in essence, makes the account that you’ve created to be the administrator not have administrative privileges by default.
The reason is that most users run as administrator on their own machine. That means that without this feature, any programs you run also have full administrative privileges.
Including malware.

The solution is to think of your administrator account more like “administrator capable”, rather than being the actual real-life administrator.
By administrator-capable, I mean that Windows will often ask you for permission before performing tasks that require true administrative access and you’ll just have to say yes or no.

SOLVED -Why does my computer say I need to be administrator, when I am? Uac_admin_prompt

Accounts which are not administrator-capable will have to supply the administrator password to prove that the user has the authorization to do something that requires administrative privileges.

Asking Versus Denying

Not all programs are written in such a way that they can ask and it’s not always possible to ask in every situation. The best that can happen then is to deny whatever it is you’re attempting if it requires administrative access.
The solution is to run the program as administrator. Because your account is administrator-capable, you can run a program with full administrative privileges.
Many programs have this option, including the Windows Command Prompt, which is where I most often use this trick. I’ll use the more commonly used Windows Explorer as an example.
Right-click on the Windows Explorer icon:

SOLVED -Why does my computer say I need to be administrator, when I am? Right_click_on_windows_explorer

Now, right-click again, but this time, on the Windows Explorer line in that pop-up menu:

SOLVED -Why does my computer say I need to be administrator, when I am? Right_click_on_windows_explorer_again

As you can see, there’s what we’re looking for: “Run as administrator”. Click on that. You’ll get the UAC confirmation prompt. After clicking Yes, that instance of Windows Explorer has full administrative privileges.

Cautions

It’s tempting to just leave that Windows Explorer open and running so that you’ll never bump into the restriction, but this opens up risks.
Any program that you start from within that copy of Windows Explorer inherits administrative privileges. If you run your mail, your browser, your word processing program or instant messaging client by double-clicking on their icon in this instance of Windows Explorer, they’ll be able to do anything. And that includes any malware, such as emailed attachments, that they might “invite” onto your system. Essentially, you’ll have completely subverted the security measures that the UAC puts into place.
In addition, Windows treats file ownership and security differently, depending on what user you are and whether you have full administrative privileges. In other words, the files that you create with full administrative privileges might not be accessible to you without those privileges – even though you were logged in with the same administrator-capable account.
In short, the security put into place with the UAC is there for an important reason and helps keep your machine safe from many forms of malware and exploits. Use “Run as administrator” with caution and only when you’re sure that you need to use it. And even then, use it only for those things that require it. Close the program (Windows Explorer in our example above) as soon as you no longer need
the extra capabilities.

kbasante

kbasante
Support Moderator
Support Moderator
Great post but unlike linux which requires root in order to use an administrative account in windows you use the administrative account by default and even if you use a guest account or a restricted account you can still get infected or attacked. I know someone who got ransomeware whiles mining bitcoins so windows is not safe and from windows 7 to windows 10 they are a privacy nightmare especially the windows 10 which is more so........... so i prefer linux distros (except ubuntu and ubuntu derivants the rest such as tails os and qubes os are secure and respect your privacy) its secure some distros respect your privacy and is not vulnerable to virus and malware. By the way mac and other apple devices do not respect your privacy.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum