HackGh Community Forum
Dumsormuststop - Dumsor could end by December; but $130m Nigeria debt could bring it back again Empty

Free counters!
Staff Online
Staff Online
Members2390
Most Online179
Newest Member
https://hackgh.forumotion.com/u2487

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dumsor could end by December; but $130m Nigeria debt could bring it back again

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

swiftblack

swiftblack
Support Moderator
Support Moderator
Dumsormuststop - Dumsor could end by December; but $130m Nigeria debt could bring it back again 303364250_978278

A former Chief Executive of electricity generators, the Volta River Authority (VRA), Dr. Charles Wereko-Brobby, has painted an optimistic picture of Ghana’s energy crisis.

He says the power challenges, called 'dumsor' in local parlance could improve by July and end by December when maintenance works on important power installations is complete.

"We should be able certainly before July or if not be able to return to 12-hours off, moving very much towards of the end of the year, we should be able to return to business as usual", he predicted on Joy FM's Super Morning Show Monday.

But he undercuts the optimism with a caveat that it will ultimately require government paying off its debt to Nigeria to guarantee consistent gas supply to Ghana’s thermal plants.

Tracing a vicious cycle of debt, Dr. Wereko Brobby explained that government owes the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) about $1.6billion while ECG owes the VRA a similar amount.

VRA owes Nigeria $130million completing the cycle of power-related debts.

According to Wereko Brobby, maintenance works on TICO unit No.1 was completed in April releasing 100megawatts more to the national grid.

Kpong thermal plant is expected to be restored by May. It will generate 36 megawatts.

TICO Steam turbine is scheduled to be up and running by May and will bring 100 more crucial megawatts this month.

The 180megawatts Sunon Asogli expansion plant is projected to produce power at full capacity by June, he continued.

These improvements in power supply in coming weeks means the 500mw deficit which is the cause of the current load shedding could be bridged.

This progressive state of affairs means the days of dumsor are numbered, he argued.

To ensure the sustainability of regular power supply, Dr. Wereko-Brobby is encouraging government to pay off its huge debts.

“Already Nigeria has officially put us on notice,” that we need to honour our financial obligations, the former VRA CEO revealed.

If Nigeria cuts its gas, Asogli will be shut down and a domino effect of shutdowns will ravage through Ghana’s thermal power enclave in Takoradi.

Dr. Wereko-Brobby believes that it is not prudent to invest huge monies in power barges from Turkey and Dubai when the money is needed to immediately solve “a real and present danger” of having gas supply cut off from Nigeria.

He wants government to focus on “paying off ECG debts so ECG can pay VRA and VRA pay can Nigeria”.

Source: Myjoyonline

PhAnt0m

PhAnt0m
Administrator
Administrator
Funny like we haven't heard those flimsy statistics, excuses and promises to the Ghanian people before. We are now officially 3 days without electricity, it makes me wonder if the president think about us, i rather reserve my commotions and stop here before i say worse things i cant take back

swiftblack

swiftblack
Support Moderator
Support Moderator
hmmm GH is no its knees now... things aren't going well at all...companies are not been created by rather destroyed; and its not as if we have a lot to choose from, the few we have are bin destroyed.. every company runs o electricity., dis Dumsor tin has lasted for almost 3yrs now...n its getting no better but jux worse.. so tell how long can a company survive that way?

Will a serious President put his country in such a situation and then spend money on unnecessary things, i mean..i jus dont get it ....i know this Dumsor thing will end by Election time, and den Ghana will forget about all of it and go vote again

WhIPL4$h

WhIPL4$h
Manager
Manager
At least there's someone willing to tell the truth and expose these guys. He mentioned the greater part of the problem has to do with money; something the government has consistently been denying vehemently.

The debt cycle needs to be broken. Only then can we break free from this crisis. Let government pay their debt to ECG, ECG to GRIDCO, GRIDCO to Nigeria. Then at least we could mitigate the problem in the short term. The power barges can then come later. Ghanaians can not wait any longer. I'm sure they're just piling up the money for election 2016. #dUmsoMUSTstop

chinesta10

chinesta10
Manager
Manager
Hmmm...  Its a pitty to learn that you are suffering for someone's inability to run things and not to even have electricity for a day is very uncomfortable let alone for 3 days.... Its really bad and this shows the extent to which things are getting worse ....

These Promises about ending "Dumsor" is not a new thing anymore and its associated failures are not new either....  We've said so much about this devastating menace known as "Dumsor" yet we continue to suffer day in day out and personally, i keep thinking about 2016 when our lights goes off...

If only the President and his associates can be made to feel just a little of our sufferings and worries, there and then will they realize the kind of suffering and frustrations, we the voiceless with no platform to express our increasing worries, are going through....

I think we've heard enough is these promises and i just wonder what other promise is next... Either way, until they begin to feel some of the sufferings we are going through, they will still not care about us and we will continue to experience this menace,"Dumsor" and its associated devastating problems... #DumsormustSTOP... #HACKGHforever..

Last edited by chinesta10 on Tue May 05, 2015 8:08 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typographical error)

evans williams

Active Newbie
hmmmm.....december??? oh then no hope.they keep on promising us but no improvement.this is bad.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum